BS Bikes

Authorised Dealer For Staffordshire

"Whoso neglects learning in his youth,
Loses the past and is dead for the future

At BS Bikes, we're lucky enough to have the support of Nigel Bowers, our local and highly qualified Advanced Riding Instructor and guest speaker at the monthly club meetings.  Thanks to Nigel, we can offer you a variety of training and courses from basic riding skills to structured and advanced skills development.  Check out Nigel's website for more info:

Motorcycling can be a pleasant and exhilarating experience, as well as an economical means of transport. However, the volume of traffic and faster, more powerful motorcycles make it essential, more than ever before, for riders to be ready to deal with the unexpected and question the actions of other road users.
After all, it's in your interest to make safety your responsibility.

Whether you' re an experienced motorcyclist or a new rider, you'll realise that riding not only requires skill in handling your machine but also the ability to 'read' the road.
Good observation and anticipation are essential to safe riding.

Compulsory Basic Training
The starting point for all learners is the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course which was introduced in 1990 to help reduce the very high accident rate among inexperienced motorcyclists. The course is conducted by training organisations that have been approved by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA).

All learner motorcycle and learner moped riders must complete a CBT course before riding on the road.

All new car drivers wanting to validate the full moped entitlement granted with their full car licence must complete a CBT course.  more::

Obtaining Your License
A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

maximum design speed not exceeding 50 km per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)
an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc
it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September, 1977

You can only hold a provisional moped licence if you are at least 16 years old. It entitles you to ride a moped on the road as a learner with L-plates (D-plates in Wales) but you must not carry a pillion passenger or go on a motorway.

Your provisional licence is only valid when you have the DL 196 certificate issued on completion of compulsory basic training (CBT) by an approved training body (ATB). A CBT certificate obtained on a moped is also valid for motorcycles once the rider has reached the age of 17 years and has the necessary licence.

If you have a full car licence, you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales) if you obtained your full car licence before 1 February, 2001. If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February, 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.



There are two types of full motorcycle licence to aim for:

a light motorcycle licence (A1). The A1 licence restricts riders to any motorcycle up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW (14.6 break horse power (bhp). The practical test must be taken on a motorcycle of between 75 cc and 125 cc
a standard motorcycle licence (A). The A licence is obtained if the practical test is taken on a motorcycle of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h (62 miles per hour (mph)

After passing the standard motorcycle practical test you will be restricted for two years to riding a motorcycle of up to 25 kW (33 bhp) and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After the two year restriction period you can ride a motorcycle of any size.


Direct access scheme (DAS)
Direct access is a scheme which allows a person over the age of 21 to avoid the two year/25 kW restriction by taking a test on a machine of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the normal learner motorcycle specification must be supervised at all times by a certified motorcycle instructor who should be in radio contact. You should also wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions.


Accelerated access
Riders who reach the age of 21, while still within the two year period where they are restricted to maximum 25 kW (33 bhp) machines, but who wish to ride larger bikes need to pass a further test on a motorcycle of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). They may practise on bikes over 25 kW (33 bhp) under the same practice conditions for direct access riders. You will revert to learner status while practising (on a motorcycle greater than 25 kW (33 bhp)) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.


Learners who wish to ride with a sidecar can practise on a combination with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. On obtaining a standard licence, you will be restricted to a combination with the same power/weight ratio for two years. At age 21 learners may, only within direct or accelerated access, practise on a larger combination. But the test must be taken on a solo bike (although physically disabled riders can use a combination).




:: click here for more details ::

653-657 high street : sandyford : tunstall : stoke-on-trent : st6 5pl : tel 01782 813866